Saturday, May 8, 2010

Sunday, April 18th, 2010

Sunday, April 18, 2010
-Going to the bathroom at 3:30 in the morning at a campground with super sketchy people around in weird camper vans (albeit just like ours) is beyond scary and I thought I would have a heart attack tearing back to the van.
-Can I just say that no bathroom should shut all the shower doors and stall doors at night, so you can see that no one is trying to kill you?!
-The night was so cold that I woke up with the blanket 100% over my head, and I am totally one of those people that cannot stand anything even touching my face when I sleep, let alone all the way over my head…
-We started at the Dunedin (Duh-Nee-Din) Railway Station first, really pretty, but not much to do.
-The Cadbury Factory tour is the most awesome thing on the planet for chocolate lovers. EVER. Chocolate waterfall, cups of warm chocolate straight from the machines to eat with a spoon, and handing out free candy left and right. Just the smell of the place could wake me from a coma.
-We learned that white chocolate is only cocoa butter, milk and sugar. So that was somewhat disturbing.
-I got to do the 45 minute Cadbury chocolate tour, so the next on the agenda was the 90 minute Speights Brewery tour. It was actually really cool since it is one of the last Gravity Breweries in existence. There were only two other people on the tour, so the end “tasting” session turned into, “Here’s the taps, here’s the glasses, go for it” Sidenote: This is the definite upside to touring in the off season, the tours are virtually dead and you get better service and its generally a lot funner.
-Skipped out on Larnach Castle. I don’t need to see some random dude’s house for $50.
-More Subway goodness (shocker).
-Jaffa’s need to come to the United States. This needs to happen, anyone in favor of chocolate and orange flavor combined, join us in this conquest.
-New Zealand farms deer. This seems very strange to me. Why would you want to farm them?
-Looks like we should be hitting the Te Anau campsite a little after 6:30. Its strangely still a bit light, I mean, don’t get me wrong, its still dark, but the gloomy clouds that have been around all day still seem to be reflecting a tiny bit of light. Maybe that can hold out….wishful thinking.
-Te Anau was a small but quaint town, the first store we went to, was a huge debate. We were in that store for at least 45 minutes trying to figure out what to do for dinner. I was feeling so crappy not having any vegetables or protein in my body. I wanted eggs or chicken, but Tim wasn’t feeling the chicken or cooking, but I didn’t want to eat plain spinach for my entire dinner. It was a big mess.
-Next stop, gas station to fill up before heading to Milford Sound in the morning, since there is no gas stations between the two towns. And even the word “town” I use lightly. We went into the Real Journeys office, (they are sure open late (8:30). We debated about whether or not to spend the money (100 each) on the cruise. But Tim really wanted to see the Sound, and other from the one end at a parking lot, there is no real way to see it unless on a cruise. So we booked one for early the next morning.
-We were quite annoyed about a lot of different things, and now we had to lug all of the cooking equipment and food and such to the cold camp kitchen to cook, at like 8pm. We were just miserable. Had to wash everything first, no towels, just gross. But we scrambled our 6 egg whites (using butterpacket since we had no spray) with broccoli, and put cheese on top. But at least we got free breakfast on the boat that next morning! That was a definite plus!!!
-Went back to the van, to put everything away and get settled for the night. It felt like it was raining at first, but it was more of a heavy mist, not as bad, but still. Just one more thing, AND it was pitch black. With one of three lights working in the back of the van. Pretty miserable. At least it was 12 degrees warmer than the night before!

No comments:

Post a Comment