Friday, April 16, 2010

My bed glows blue.

Ok, so I meant to post a decent post tonight, since we are about to embark on a two week, sleep in a van, eat in a van, breathe van, adventure. I am sure we will get internet at some point, but don't know for how long or actually when the next post will be able to be. Thus the desire for a glorious post tonight, but that didn't happen, and I blame the hotel. It is amazing. Beyond amazing. Our room has free wireless, its like a spaceship, the bathroom is an opaque pod, and you can shower in 5 different colors of lights, there is a wall remote for the 10+ light features, the bottom of the bed glows blue...AND THERE IS A GYM. Not just any gym, but a huge glorious gym and sauna. Needless to say, thats where I spent my evening as Tim did laundry in the hotel sweet laundry room that even provided the soap!

But today was pretty different than the other days so far. We were up at 5:45 in order to make it to our 8am ferry across the sound from the North Island to the South Island, and then 5.5 hours on the ghetto train to Christchurch where we pick up our van tomorrow. I totally dig Christchurch though. Its what i thought Wellington was going to be. Love it. Boston, Denver, and a little bit of something new all rolled into one. Hint of Amsterdam. We ate at Poppy Thai for dinner. I could have eaten that dinner all week. I cleaned my plate, and for those that know me...thats unheard of, unless its dessert....it was awesome. And then top that of with a great hour and a half in the gym. Dig. Now its 2:10am and I hope I can drag my butt back down there before we take off tomorrow.


These pictures were take two days ago (I think two...) at Castlepoint Lighthouse. An hour totally in the wrong direction, but when you see the other pictures, you will understand that it was totally the right move.

Now for some trivia of the day:

You don't say red pepper or green pepper here. Its all called Capsicum.

Maori pronounce "wh" like an f.

Kiwi plants can grow 6 inches on a hot day.

Kiwi plants are either male or female.

Breakfast Marmelade is lemony orange jelly.

Filtered coffee, = real coffee.

Fresh = not toasted sandwich (mainly from Subway on our budget)

1 comment:

  1. Kendra and I were down there over winter break doing some backpacking (tramping.) We also learned things like:

    To go food = Take away

    Kiwi's don't believe in buildings trails with switchbacks, and they always under-exaggerate things. (A flood is "a bit damp")

    And if you end up in Queenstown definitely stay at the Hippo Hostel.

    --- Seager

    ReplyDelete